Showing posts with label Hollywood News. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Hollywood News. Show all posts

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kevin Smith: 'I'm never going on Southwest again'


Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Southwest Airlines apologized a second time Monday to film director Kevin Smith for pulling him off a Saturday flight because of his size.

"We're very sorry for how his night unfortunately played out," Southwest said in a written statement.

The airline said it "could have potentially handled our communication better," but defended "the determination that Mr. Smith needed more than one seat to complete his flight comfortably."

The controversy is a public relations challenge for Southwest. The airline had the lowest rate of passenger complaints among U.S. airlines last year, according to a government report issued last week.

Smith -- known for his movie character "Silent Bob" -- began posting a barrage of angry messages on the online network Twitter, where he has 1.6 million followers.

He vowed in a recording posted on his Web site to "scorch the earth" with his complaints against Southwest.

"Dude, I know I'm fat," Smith said. "That's not why I was truly thrown off that plane because I fit perfectly in the seat."

Smith said he had no trouble buckling his seat belt and lowering his armrests.

"I am not fat enough to eject off a Southwest flight," he said.

He said he suspected he may have been bumped by an airline employee who did not like his comic films, which include "Zach and Miri Make a Porno," "Clerks" and the upcoming "Cop Out."

His goal is to force Southwest to change the way it deals with overweight passengers.

Southwest said it is listening.

"We want to assure everyone that has expressed concern over the situation that we will use this experience in our customer service program when training our employees on the correct way to apply the policy," the airline said.

The "customer of size policy" implemented 25 years ago requires "passengers that cannot fit safely and comfortably in one seat to purchase an additional seat while traveling," it said.

"If a customer cannot comfortably lower the armrest and infringes on a portion of another seat, a customer seated adjacent would be very uncomfortable and a timely exit from the aircraft in the event of an emergency might be compromised if we allow a cramped, restricted seating arrangement," the airline said.

"I can buckle that seat belt and that is a hallmark for any fat person," Smith said.

Smith did purchase two seats for the flight to Burbank, but he was allowed to board an earlier flight as a standby passenger, and only one seat was available on that flight.

The extra seat is not a necessity, he said, but a luxury because "Southwest flights are cheap."

"I'm flying on the welfare airline, food-stamp airline," he said. "So I think I can indulge myself with two seats, and I can afford to do it."

Although Southwest said airline executives have personally called him to apologize, Smith insisted Monday afternoon he's not gotten a call.

Although he bought 10 tickets on the airline in just the past week, he said "I'm never going on Southwest again."


source:http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/15/kevin.smith.southwest/index.html?hpt=C1

Monday, February 15, 2010

Taylor Swift wins Grammy for album of the year

Country-pop star Taylor Swift won the Grammy for album of the year on Sunday for "Fearless," the best-selling release of 2009.

She beat nominees Beyonce, the Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, and the Dave Matthews Band for the ceremony's top prize.

Mayer: 'I will always love Aniston'


Rocker John Mayer has confessed he'll always love ex-girlfriend Jennifer Aniston and regrets the fact he couldn't be a more mature lover for her.

The couple split in 2009 after a brief romance and Aniston is now reportedly dating Scottish actor Gerard Butler, but Mayer can't get the Friends star out of his head.

In a candid Playboy interview, the Daughters singer reveals, "I'll always be sorry that it didn't last. In some ways I wish I could be with her. But I can't change the fact that I need to be 32.

"Parts of me aren't 32. My ability to go deep with somebody is old soul. My ability to commit and be faithful is old soul. But 32 just comes roaring out of me at points when I don't see it coming... I don't want to pet dogs in the kitchen."

And he'll always have terrible memories of his split from the actress - because he felt like such a "villain" and spent the following week trying to avoid the media's interest in his love life.

He adds, "I had seen splitting up with her as akin to burning an American flag... I felt as though I'd done something wrong and was going to be punished for it.

"When the media picked up on it, it was the worst f**king week of my life... All I can remember is that I was about to lose my vision. My emotional tissue was about to tear."

He staged a showdown with reporters who had hounded him at the gym, and recalls, "I was on the verge of crying and also on the verge of punching someone."


source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com

Friday, October 16, 2009

Nicolas Cage sues ex-manager for "financial ruin"

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Nicolas Cage filed a $20 million lawsuit against his former business manager on Friday, accusing him of negligence and fraud that sent the "National Treasure" star "down a path toward financial ruin."

Cage claimed that his recently-fired business manager had failed to pay taxes when they were due and had placed him in speculative and risky real estate investments "resulting in (the actor) suffering catastrophic losses."

In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court and first obtained by celebrity web site TMZ.com, Cage said he had now been forced to "sell major assets and investments at a significant loss" because of the actions of his business advisor and accountant over the past seven years.

The lawsuit said the advisor had also failed to alert Cage to the fact that his money was running out, and had over-extended his lines of credit with banks.

The former business manager, Samuel Levin, could not be reached for comment on Friday.

Cage, 45, is one of Hollywood's most prolific actors with more than 50 movies to his name, including an Oscar-winning role as an alcoholic in "Leaving Las Vegas" and action movies such as "Face/Off" and "Gone in Sixty Seconds".

Cage earned some $40 million last year according to Forbes.com and has six movies expected to hit theaters in the next two years.

He was recently hit with a claim for $6.6 million dollars in back income taxes, interest and penalties by U.S. authorities.

Cage said he did not realize the extent of his problems until September 2008 when he hired a new business manager. He asked for $20 million in damages, saying that his reputation has been "irreparably tarnished."

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

source: http://omg.yahoo.com/news/nicolas-cage-sues-ex-manager-for-financial-ruin/29673?nc